The SAE Standard covers normalized electric resistance welded, cold-drawn, single-wall, SAE 1021 carbon steel pressure tubing intended for use as pressure lines and in other applications requiring tubing of a quality suitable for bending, flaring, forming, and brazing.
The grade of material produced to this specification is higher in carbon content and manganese content than the grade of material specified in SAE J525 and is intended to service higher pressure applications than equivalent sizes of SAE J525. Due to the higher carbon and manganese content the forming characteristics of the finished tube are diminished versus the SAE J525 product. Special attention to the overall forming requirements of the finished assembly shall be taken into consideration when specifying material produced to this specification.
In an effort to standardize within a global marketplace and ensuring that companies can remain competitive in an international market it is the intent to convert to metric tube sizes which will:
- Lead to one global system
- Guide users to preferred system
- Reduce complexity
- Eliminate inventory duplications
This five year review of the J2467 standard incorporates revisions requested by producers, fabricators and users of this material type. The updates include the following:
- Revised documents listing,
- Verbiage changes to improve the technical meanings of specific terms and expressions
- Clarified wall thickness reduction requirement in section 3.0
- Revised wording of section 5.2
- Recommendation for the use of metric size materials.
- Revision of chemical requirements to harmonize with SAE J403
- Added notation to clarify test agreement noted on 8.8 Pressure Proof Test
- Added notation to clarify test note on 8.9 Nondestructive Electronic Test