The SAE J526 Standard covers electric-resistance welded single-wall low-carbon steel pressure tubing intended for general automotive, refrigeration, hydraulic, and other similar applications requiring tubing of a quality suitable for bending, flaring, beading, forming, and brazing. Material produced to this specification is not intended to be used for single flare applications due to the potential leak path that would be caused by the ID weld bead or scarfed region. Assumption of risks when using this material for single flare applications shall be defined by agreement between the producer and tube purchaser. The material produced to this specification is intended to service pressure applications where severe forming and bending is not required. As this material may exhibit mechanical properties that reduce some desired forming characteristics versus SAE J356, the severity of the forming requirements of the finished assembly should be considered when utilizing material produced to this specification.
This five year review of the SAE J526 standard incorporates revisions requested by producers, fabricators and users of the material type. The updates include the following:
• A revised applicable and related documents listing,
• Section 5.1 straightness requirement and wording revised,
• Revised wording of section 5.2, tube end condition,
• Revised wording of section 5.3, surface condition,
• Clarification note added to sections 8.4 and 8.
• Revised section 9, test certificates,
• Adding note to section 11, corrosion protection,
• Revised verbiage to comply with FCCTC Standardized Language Document