This SAE Recommended Practice is intended as a guide toward standard practice and is subject to change to keep pace with experience and technical advances. This document provides standardized laboratory tests, test methods and equipment, and requirements for lighting devices covered by SAE Recommended Practices and Standards. It is intended for devices used on vehicles less than 2032 mm in width. Tests for vehicles larger than 2032 mm in overall width are covered in SAE J2139. Device specific tests and requirements can be found in applicable SAE technical reports.
1. To provide better flow, the document was re-numbered to separate the tests into the following groups. Group A – Photometry, Group B – Mechanical, Group C – Thermal, Group D – Water, Group E – Other.
2. The scope was changed to clarify purpose and to reflect that the test procedures described in this document are generic and not lamp specific. All references to specific lamps to be tested has been removed (i.e. tests for headlamps and fog lamps is now a test for a lamp)
3. The reference document for salt fog testing was updated to the 2003 version reflecting the change in the salt purity requirement.
4. A review of this document revealed no mention of how DRL function should be tested. Changes to photometry voltage and lamp testing operation reflect specific test requirements of DRL functions
5. Numbering in Vibration test was corrected, as well as the test procedure added for the J577 vibration machine, removing the reference to J2139 for the procedure.
6. Updated thermal cycle figure to provide better resolution for dwell times. Changed text to reflect the actual minimum and maximum test durations based on the temperature transition rates.
7. Due to comments in the last ballot, wording to better clarify solar irradiation direction was added. In recent years many tests have been added to this document and the numbering was mostly chronological.
8. References to historical origins of a test and references to non-existent tables removed from the document.