This document contains Minimum Operational Performance Specification (MOPS) of ACTIVE on-board INFLIGHT Icing Detection Systems (FIDS).
This MOPS specifies FIDS Operational Performance which is the minimum necessary to satisfy regulatory requirements for the design and manufacture of the equipment to a minimum standard and guidance towards acceptable means of compliance when installed on an AIRCRAFT.
Detection of ICE accreted on the AIRCRAFT during ground operations is not considered in this document. This MOPS was written for the use of FIDS on AIRCRAFT as defined in 1.3 and 2.3.
Expected minimum performance specifications for FIDS and their FUNCTIONS are provided in Section 3.
The minimum performance requirements as defined in Section 3 do not consider SYSTEM performance as installed on the AIRCRAFT. Performance in excess of the minimum performance may be required by the SYSTEM installed on an AIRCRAFT in order to meet regulatory or operational requirements. This topic is considered in Section 6.
This document is being revised to address new airworthiness authority rulemaking and guidance since the original issue of the document and to provide more comprehensive coverage of the subject, with a focus on the following areas:
• Requirements for CS-25/14 CFR Part 25, Appendix (App.) O and CS-25, App. P/14 CFR Part 33, App. D, associated regulatory changes, and means of compliance,
• New FIDS FUNCTIONS in relation with App. O and /or App. D/P conditions,
• Rationale between the FIDS response time requirements and the time requirement to annunciate presence of ice accumulation or icing conditions to ensure safe Aircraft operations,
• Comprehensive test conditions to verify the compliance of the FIDS FUNCTIONS with functional requirements,
• Guidance to analyze local FIDS conditions Vs Aircraft critical surfaces conditions e.g., critical temperature, freezing fraction, local installation factors, etc.
• Process/Guidance to verify FIDS performance when Installed on A/C
• Considerations for revised certification and qualification requirements,
• Specific considerations for the installation of FIDS on ROTORCRAFT.